Search This Blog

Sunday, January 20, 2013

My New Axe

2006 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Sunburst
This new addition really gives me some versatility in my classic rock band. Actually it is not mine! (rats) My son plays and has had this guitar for a while. He brought it over for me to store for him while on an out of town job for a while. I re-strung it and cleaned it up some and well, really like it!

I tried a new string this time veering away from my fixation on Fender strings. I laid down some DR Pure Blues 09-42 Pure Nickel - Round Core Handmade strings from Back Stage Pass. I REALLY like them and will definitely use them again. I have to have light gauge strings and these sure fit the bill. I highly recommend you try these on electric.

I used this for the first time at band rehearsal today and the only thing I did not like is the heaviness of this guy! Plus the plug in on the back hits me wrong on the leg, especially if i use my wireless  bug on it. My others are much lighter than this Les Paul! Overall I loved the tone, the sustain is great, and the lead solos stand out more. It is not a Gibson or a high-end model but for the price and quality it sounded super. My biggest preference for this axe is Allman Brother songs for the sustain on lead solos and heavy rock like Bob Sieger or Steppenwolf.

Comments? Discussion?

No comments: