Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2012

Bucket List Item

One item on my bucket list is to play at my high school reunion. Well my 40th reunion is coming up in the fall of 2013 so if i am going to make this item on my list happen, it has to be now. I talked about it for a few years and even mentioned it to a former band member a while back. Here it is 20 months out to the reunion and i took action. I started with that former band member and and then started calling some other former players and soon i had a guitar/ vocals guy and drummer and me. I play mostly rhythm and some lead and limited back up vocals, maybe! The drummer is a good friend that played a previous band and is the best drummer i know by far.

I then googled a bass player that played in my original band back in 97. I found him and emailed his work and in a few days i got a response that he was in. He was super excited to play again. This guy is the best bass player i know as well. and played with Stevie Ray Vaughn back in the day. In fact he has a poster in his house with him and SRV!

We actually met and played together for the first time and knocked out some really great classic rock tunes and sounded really good too. But we were missing a lead vocal and keyboard player. After that first rehearsal i googled another guy that i knew that was a concert pianist at the age of 24 and he played keyboard too. I found his email address and sent him a note. Within a few days he emailed back and was in. Finally, the drummer got a lead vocal guy for us that is in his other band, kind of like a loaner for this upcoming reunion gig.

So there you have it! I have a 40th High School Reunion, in the fall of 2013, in Corpus Christi, Texas, probably a non paying gig, that will require lots of rehearsals, and these friends and fellow musicians all committed to it for me. That is incredible! It is the love of music and the friendship we enjoy that brought us together again for a reunion gig.

One more thing! The bass player got us a gig this year at Farr Best Theater in Mansfield, Texas on Sept 21st, 2012 just because he knew the man that lines up bands for the place. So we are listed for that date. Our band name is "Back In Time"...bringing back classic rock of the 70's!

Back In Time Band members are: Rick Cadden- guitar, Stan Melton-guitar and vocals, Steve Byas - drums, Darryl Haynes- Bass, Dave Lucas- guitar vocals, and Jet Jones - keyboard!

I am having a blast with this and can't wait for the high school reunion now!

Comments! Are you playing in a band?

1 comment:

Dave G said...

We had a great time at the Farr Best Theater with Back in Time.